CBRS for Intelligent Transportation:
a new, scalable strategy that doesn’t require costly upgrades to legacy systems.
Modern ITS networks are coping with an increased need for critical data transmission as Big Data has created an influx of information from a wide variety of technologies. Applications processing this data into useful and critical information require the transmission of data between the site where the data is collected and the location where this data is processed and stored. Address the latest challenges in managing the flow of Big Data by adding CBRS to your Intelligent Transportation network stack.
Why Intelligent Transportation is eager to deploy its OWN Private CBRS LTE network:
- Take full advantage of True Edge Computing by processing critical data without the need for fluctuating cellular connectivity
- Avoid the security challenge of data flowing up to the cloud
- Keep critical data secure, protected, and on-premise by controlling the environment
- Alleviating severe network congestion through priority and preemption
- Enable up to 10x wider coverage with enough power to penetrate inside structures
- Easily expand your network by adding antennas to a building or tower
- Eliminate recurring data costs for all equipment communicating over CBRS to Carriers by making high-bandwidth applications more affordable
- CBRS Relies on LTE for communication–cellular technology does not require line-of-sight
Scalable, Reliable | Private CBRS LTE network for Intelligent Transportation
Enhance your Intelligent Transportation network incrementally. CBRS allows overlaying a private cellular network on top of an already existing fiber optic or cellular network. There is no need for Transportation Enterprises to dive head first into a complete overhaul of its infrastructure. Private cellular with CBRS can offer coverage in locations not serviced by traditional carrier networks, filling gaps in the network and providing critical redundancy in areas where uptime is paramount.
Deploy a single CBRS base station
Expand existing network reach and provide coverage for several miles in all directions by deploying a single base station. CBRS base stations are best mounted high on a tall tower or building. Unlike wireless systems, CBRS leverages LTE as its primary communication protocol and does not require line of sight to receive radios. It is critically important to get an accurate signal propagation model ahead of any deployment to understand what level of performance can be expected. Be sure to consult structural engineering and permitting specialists to help you with a successful deployment.
A single CBRS base station, within a 2- to 4-mile radius
Connect several Private CBRS LTE network base stations
Face new capacity demands and combine CBRS with other wireless communication technologies to connect several base stations and cover even larger areas. Take advantage of narrow E-Band channels with higher system gain, combined with rain-resilient microwave bands such as 11 or 13 GHz, and other wireless options to deploy much longer high-capacity paths.
Where fiber ends, CBRS continues
Fiber may be in use for dense urban areas but often doesn’t reach the surrounding suburbs. We still need to know what’s happening with traffic at suburban or rural intersections. A private CBRS LTE network provides the option to offer service effectively to rural and suburban markets without the time, expense, and inconvenience of tearing up roads to extend fiber. CBRS is also an excellent option for costly fiber network redundancy. Rather than install multiple, geographically diverse cable routes, create a CBRS safety net so that if something were to happen to the primary fiber cable, service to customers would not be interrupted.
Per the U.S. Department of Transportation, the average cost of laying fiber is about $27,000 per mile.
Adopt a cost-effective modular approach to important connectivity by connecting your Private Cellular CBRS deployment directly to existing fiber infrastructure. Make sure critical real-time traffic and travel information flows seamlessly from a wide variety of remote field devices and traffic control centers, back to the head end of the Traffic Management Center.
Affordable | Private CBRS LTE Network for Intelligent Transportation
Avoid exorbitant data costs with your own private CBRS LTE network
Modern Intelligent Transportation networks have high uplink data consumption rates in order to facilitate real-time communications between a wide variety of remote field devices and traffic control centers. With a private CBRS LTE network, stream high-resolution CCTV video from dozens of locations via a single base station with NO data costs. Stand up your own private LTE Network using CBRS and avoid strict data plans that are expensive and offer minimum flexibility.
Powerful | Private CBRS LTE Network for Intelligent Transportation
A private CBRS network enhances these forward-looking technologies for transportation safety and mobility by utilizing the powerful edge computing capabilities of the TELiG E1500
- Intersection Network Connectivity | Securely connect legacy traffic hardware
- Intersection Analytics | Traffic analytics, including alerting for intersection anomalies or issues
- Automatic Clock Sync | Keep corridors of lights coordinated by auto-syncing their internal clocks
- Signal Timing Updates | Upload your own signal timing plans or let ThruGreen’s AI make auto-adjustments
- Virtual Detection | Give citizens more green lights by sharing vehicle location data with your lights
- Intersection Data Relays | Make your grid smarter by sharing detection information between adjacent intersections
- Emergency Preemption
- Transit Signal Priority (TSP)
- Government Fleet Priority
- Live Cabinet Status Dashboard
- Live Detection & Phase Monitoring
- Battery and Power Systems Monitoring
- Live Alert Notifications
CBRS and Wrong-Way Detection
Wrong-way detection systems use radar sensors to detect wrong-way vehicles. A traffic camera can recognize if a vehicle is going in the wrong direction, sends information wirelessly to the nearest traffic management center, and triggers a signal to avoid a collision. But, if the camera has to process by sending cellular data up to the cloud, what happens if there is a loss of network connectivity?
The latest data from AAA shows, on average, there were 500 people killed each year in wrong-way crashes from 2015-2018, for a total of more than 2,000 deaths in that span.
When wrong-way detection technology is done at the edge using a Private CBRS LTE network, the camera can process instantly without the risk of unstable connectivity. Wrong-way driver alert systems are 80% effective in stopping wrong-way drivers, resulting in safer mobility for the traveling public.
Council Rock CBRS Starter Kit
Combine the TELiG E1500 powerful computing platform utilizing the latest LTE technology, with the carrier-class LTE Advanced small cell eNodeB AirSpeed 1030.
Council Rock is an award-winning Industrial IOT engineering firm developing creative solutions for Intelligent Transportation that keep us safe and secure. Learn more about how to use the CBRS spectrum to deploy a private LTE network for mobility, extreme link-layer reliability, and predictable latency.